PicoSearch


BYTE BACK
KFNX1100AM Listen Live
Air America

BLOND AND HARMONIZED GETTING IT RIGHT AGAINST THE RIGHT sunraysix@excite.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Archives







January 18, 2003

POTLUCKS 4 PEACE

Today is apparently the National Day of Action Against War in Iraq

Potlucks For Peace is a grassroots effort to start a F2F discussion in neighborhoods, about the reasons for war, particularly the coming Iraq "war." The founder, Tom Merriman states he was for invading Afghanistan because it had a clear goal with a clear reason.
Other organizers are mostly "not-Republican" or doves, but there are those participating who also support the war but still welcome a discussion. How rare does that sound?

I should note that when I first heard the name mentioned I thought it was Potlachs for Peace and I let my mind wander down just what that would be like. For those that don't know (not that you really should, it's just I'm in the NW and I took some history classes in college) potlachs are primarily family affiars where the host gives away all their possessions, in a sense of celebration or grief.

I was going to make a career of touring these great potlachs of peace. That's the kind of activism I can support with my two legs.

Christopher Hitchens, who annoys people of both parties and position (the position and party difference is something I've been thinking more of, thanks to an e-mail exchange with Howard Owens) was invited by the Stranger, an alterna-weekly in Seattle, to write about the Potlucks for Peace group. He basically ripped them a new one for their wussy ways. Accusing them of comforting and appeasing enemies.

It's enough to make you think there should be no parties, just a vote on ideas. Oh silly me. Notice, btw how I neatly separate the notion of "party" and "ideas." Like that?