PicoSearch


BYTE BACK
KFNX1100AM Listen Live
Air America

BLOND AND HARMONIZED GETTING IT RIGHT AGAINST THE RIGHT sunraysix@excite.com

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Archives







April 20, 2004

Fuckity Fuck Fuck Fuck

Bono says "fuck" on an awards show and I agree that he should not be allowed to.

But if it was on premium cable, yes.

He wasn't fined, because hey, someone else should have beeped it out.

Here's why I do not think it's a good idea to let Bono say fuck on an awards show witohut some penalty.

1- Because id thart use was allowed than any "fuck" shit" piss" motherfucker" etc etc would be allowed on TV, because "none are used it sexual sense."
In a decision last month, the FCC overruled its enforcement bureau and said an expletive used as an adjective from Bono on last year's Golden Globes on NBC was both indecent and profane.

The ruling marked the first time the FCC pointed to a four-letter word as profane in any form. The original ruling let Bono off the hook because his use of the F-word wasn't used to describe a sexual act.

Bono said "this is really, really (expletive) brilliant" at the beginning of his acceptance speech for winning the Globe for Best Original Song for "The Hands That Built America" from "Gangs of New York."


I would never watch expletive-laden shows with kids. I imagine many parents feel the same way. So that means two TVs in the house for many households.

I'm not talking about the way it should be - less TV, more together time - I'm talking about the way it is.

UPDATE 16:34 I know what I wrote about was pretty much bilge. By bilge I mean incomplete to the point of worthlessness. The violence on Tv is of far more concern to me - but then I love 24, which - for a TV show - scares the crap out of me. But I like it. It only occasionally gets violent as this comment thread at Matt Y reminded me (and I never read the original post when I posted), but I do check into Matthew Yglesias enough now where I spell his name correctly. I guess I should blogroll him or something.

Aaaaanyway, in short, violence is more offensive then swearing - but both add to the unpleasantness of society when in the minds of children.

You can't have a "Sex on TV is OK when it's between a loving couple but not when it's a one-night stand or rape" policy. Can you?

Which leads me to my next ThinkPeopleThink.com question? What is appropriate for free TV?